Poached Eggs with Asparagus and Garlic Chips
If I had to pick a meal that I enjoyed most, breakfast would win with no contest. It's amazing how much I look forward to eggs, bacon and waffles. Move aside brisket and pizza, the humble egg is my Bae!
I love this simple, fresh recipe because not only is it easy and tasty, It kind of sits in the healthy section of my cooking repertoire. Its virtually carb free and can be scaled up or down easily. My recipe is for a single person since breakfast for me is usually a lone wolf affair.
- 3 Cloves garlic, sliced
- To Garnish:
- Chopped chives
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
- Lemon Zest
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 Tbsp EVOO(extra virgin olive oil)
- 6-8 Asparagus spears, washed and trimmed
- 2 Soft poached eggs
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Poach the eggs the way you prefer to and set aside. I like to bring the water to a gentle simmer and carefully immerse the eggs in a small bowl with no vinegar or lemon juice added to the water.
- Zest the lemon, shave the parm and chop the chives ready for garnishing.
- The recipe comes together fairly quickly once the asparagus is cooked so make sure they don’t overcook and turn military green and yucky.
- Add EVOO + butter to a medium skillet and once hot, add the asparagus, cooking on medium for a minute or so.
- Toss in the garlic, sprinkle a little flaky salt and saute until the asparagus is bright green and just cooked through.
- Remove the asparagus and continue to cook garlic on a medium to low flame until golden brown and crisp.
- Plate up with the asparagus on the bottom, topped by the eggs
- Garnish with Parm, chopped chives, lemon zest, sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Scatter garlic chips over and around the plate.
- Spooning some 3 Ingredient Magic Sauce over would just take this dish from amazing to..well.. Magical !!!