Grilled Sausage & Roast Vegetable Board
Sometimes, 7 pm creeps up on you, the thought of slaving over a hot stove makes you cringe and you cant order takeout again for the third day in a row! Having a decently stocked freezer and some creativity helps you lop together a dinner plan that goes from makeshift to downright delicious.
I almost always have a selection of sausages in the freezer. And although I had quite a few types of vegetables for this recipe, you can substitute almost anything in place of what I am using. The beauty of this recipe is the simplicity of the method. It isn't really a recipe at all. Just a general plan of action and some suggestions.
So the next time you are in a quandary and want to get dinner on the table but seriously don't want to expend much energy, try this dinner trifecta: Roast Veg, Grilled Sausage, Dipping Sauce. This recipe feeds 2-3 people but you can accordingly scale it. The only restriction really would be the size of your oven so you can fit in all the veg in one go.
- About 2-3 medium sausages per person ( I used Chicken Andouille, but honestly, anything you have will work here)
- For the marinade:
- 2 tbsp of good butter, slightly softened
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp chilly/pepper flakes
- A small pinch of coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp finely chopped parsley (or any herb you have handy)
- Mortar & Pestle (or you can just use a chopper)
- For the roasted vegetables:
- 10 cremini mushrooms, cleaned and de-stemmed
- 1 red pepper, sliced thick
- 1 onion, quartered (or try a couple of shallots sliced down the middle)
- 24 asparagus tips
- 150 gms broccoli florets
- 150 gms cauliflower florets
- NOTE: Basically account for around a cup of uncooked veg per person
- For the dipping sauce:
- I used premade Truffle Aioli mixed with some creme fraiche. About 4 tbsp aioli to 1 tbsp of creme fraiche. But I think any of your favorite sauces will work here.
- OR, TRY MY 3 INGREDIENT MAGIC SAUCE!! ITS FINGER LICKIN DELICIOUS!
- Sea salt and pepper to finish
- 1 tbsp olive oil to brush over the sausages when grilling them
- Preheat your oven to 200C/390F.
- Start with the marinade. Add the garlic cloves and a pinch of sea salt to the mortar or chopper, grind the garlic until it is crushed but not necessarily a paste (because we are lazy!).
- Add the butter, olive oil and pepper flakes.
- Mix them thoroughly. Set aside.
- Lay out all your washed and cut vegetables in a single layer on a baking tray. Using a pastry brush (if you are fancy AF) or your hands (Me!), coat the veg with the marinade. I like doing this individually so that the marinade is evenly distributed but if you want to cut out this 'massaging the veg' part of the program, go ahead and toss everything together in a bowl and then lay them out.
- Once marinated, set in the oven on the middle rack for 20 mins.
- Take a 5 minute break, go pour yourself a glass of wine, then come back and get started on the sausages.
- Set a cast iron grill pan or any heavy duty grill pan on the gas and get it super hot.
- Brush the sausages with a little olive oil. I like to prick them a couple of times each to reduce the number of explosive sausage moments in the kitchen. (cue the snigger)
- Grill the sausages, giving them enough surface time to char on each side.
- Mix together the sauce of your choice while avoiding the urge to keep flipping the sausages.
- The veg should be ready to come out of the oven at about the same time as the sausages get done.
- Plate up with the sausages, veg and sauce, finish with some good sea salt and some pepper.
- Dinner is on the table. Get someone else to clean up. Because DAMN, that was exhausting right??
Laziness may continue unchecked if this is what it results in!! BOOM!