Kitchen Sink Stories: Veggie Pot Pie
One random evening, my friends were over and planning what to order in for dinner. But I had enough of eating heavy takeout and, with a fridge that barely had a few odds and ends left, I honestly didn’t know what I could scrounge together for dinner.
I was craving something a little easy to put together but a pot comforting. And honestly, what could be more comforting than a creamy dreamy pot pie.
Since it was just for me, I just pulled out whatever bits of produce I had in the crisper and without a clear plan, just starting putting together a pot pie.
In went a lonely carrot, a single slightly sprouted potato was cleaned and sliced thin, the last dregs of cream was poured out.
With some Prateek Kuhad crooning about love and longing in the background, my beige boring evening dinner took on a distinctly lovely tinge.
After my aunts asked after the recipe when I put up a picture on Instagram / Facebook, I figured I’d try to remember and put down my Kitchen Sink Pot Pie recipe. Although calling it a recipe is a bit of a joke really. (Have Fun Lakshmi Aunty & Pushpa Chitti!!)
Also, I figure, these 'bits and ends' type recipes may just be something I can try and post more often. Make a miniseries of sorts. Since I know the pain of trying to use up what you got before it goes bad, even though that beautiful unopened package of (FILL IN EXCITING INGREDIENT NAME) is just taunting you!!
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 1 medium potato, mandoline
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 1 chilly chopped
- 3 mushrooms, sliced thick
- Any fresh herb you have on hand
- 3 tbsp cream (or sub it for creme fraiche)
- Alternatively, use butter, flour, and milk to make a roux and white sauce but cream is the lazy cook's version
- 2 tbsp cheese, parm is my go to. But any melting cheese would work
- 5-6 pieces of ravioli (or a teenie tiny handful of any pasta)
- 1 tsp pesto.
- Olive oil
- Salt pepper
- Parsley to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180c
- Massage potato slices with olive oil, salt, pepper and 1 clove of minced garlic
- Boil pasta till just underdone
- Sauté mushrooms, 3 mins
- Add onions, carrots in olive oil 2-3 mins
- Add chilly 30 seconds
- Add garlic 30 seconds
- Add the cream and pesto 3-4 kind
- Toss in pasta, cheese, salt, and pepper to taste
- Turn off heat.
- Transfer into an oven-safe ramekin
- Layer the potato slices in a flower pattern over the top. Sprinkle with additional cheese if you want to go OTT with the indulgence
- Bake uncovered for 30 mins, or until potato is cooked through and crisping at the edges.
- Garnish with chives or parsley.
- Serve some crusty bread on the side to mop up the sauce. Dinner for one......done!!!
Note to self:
Don't be such a lazy ass and post more regularly. Seriously! Its been over two months! Hope you guys have an amazing time throwing together this easy dinner. xoxo